Are you signed up for an ironman event in 2017 yet?
If not we have come up with the Top 5 Ironman Events that should be on your bucket list.
1. Ironman Coeur d'Alene - in Northern Idaho. With the swim in the glacier-fed lake and the two loop bike course starting along the lake shore it is a perfect setting for an Ironman triathlon. Natural beauty, moderate difficulty makes this one a must do. The swim is meant to be fairly cold, so a wetsuit is required. Along with this the water can still be a little choppy, even though it is in a lake. The cycle course has a few difficult climbs whilst the run course is fairly fast with a few tough climbs thrown in there. A well supported event and one that should be considered! If you want to know more about the race check out this Ironman Coeur D'Alene course review by @maslife
2. Ironman Western Australia - (Busselton). With the swim in the Busselton jetty and the cycle being flat and fast followed by a run with lots of spectating opportunities this course has to be on the bucket list. The water is fairly clear making visibility good, however as expected there is a lot of competition for space in the water. There is usually a light sweeping wind on the bike section, which can slow down the bike times. The run can be pretty hot however the course is great for spectators, giving you a lot of support as you go round. If you are looking for an Ironman in Australia this is one to put on the list. Check out this race report Ironman Western Australia
3. Ironman 70.3 St. Croix - based on the U.S Virgin Island. With warm tropical waters, a steep climb on the cycle and a run around a golf course this event is one that should definitely be considered. The swim does not allow for wet suits however it is usually fairly calm. With the bike course being a loop of the island, there is plenty of opportunity to see a few sights however with a few steep hills you might not be able to take it all in. The run course starts on the tarmac, then onto the resort where temperatures soar. A great event to take part in and one for the bucket list. Check out the race report on Ironman 70.3 St. Croix by Slowtwitch.
4. Ironman European Championship - (Frankfurt). Located in Germany in the quiet waters of Langener Waldsee followed by a cycle around Frankfurt and a run with a flat fast course, this one is a great event to participate in and also one for spectators. The swim course begins with a rolling start releasing around 20 swimmers every 10 seconds. The bike section of the race contains a few hills with some good scenery through Frankfurt. Finally on to the run, with 4 loops of the course and being relatively flat it is a great course and one which gets lots of fantastic spectators. For more on the course check out this post Ironman European Championship by Absolute Triathlon Coaching.
5. Kona - Ironman Championship. The most iconic event in the triathlon world. With the barren lava fields of Kona, strong crosswinds and a scorching sun beating down it doesn't sound all that fun, but this is the race of all races. The race every athlete dreams of making. I am sure we don't need to speak much about this race as pretty much everyone has heard the tales of this race however check this race review out on Kona - Ironman Championship by Inspire Out